| Sign up
Heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
1500g Unsalted butter, plus extra to grease tray
24 Mixed apples
875g Demerara sugar
10 Eggs, beaten
750g Self-raising flour
5 Lemon zest
100g Flaked almonds
1. Heat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
2. Soak the sultanas in the Calvados. Lightly grease a gastronome tray.
3. Peel, core and chop the apples. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat; add the apples with 75g butter and one-third of the sugar. Cook until they begin to caramelize, tossing them to ensure they colour evenly. Tip in the sultanas and Calvados and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the apples are tender. Transfer the apple mixture to the prepared tin, spread evenly and leave to cool.
4. Meanwhile, cream the remaining butter and sugar together. Beat in the eggs a little at a time, stirring in a spoonful of the flour if the mixture looks like it will split at any point. Fold in the flour and lemon zest, alternately with the milk. The mixture will be quite thick – add just enough milk to get the cake mixture to a dropping consistency.
5. Pour the cake mixture over the apples and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
6. Bake for about 30-35 minute until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.