Chefs share their near death experiences in the kitchen

The Staff Canteen

Recently, the Independent published an article on chefs revealing their near-death experiences in the kitchen.

Whilst we enjoy the delicacies that come out of the kitchen, these chefs speak on the disastrous incidents that have happened in the kitchen.
Richard Bainbridge
Richard Bainbridge

Chef and owner of Restaurant Benedicts, Norwich, Richard Bainbridge

Speaking on how he’s cheated death twice in the kitchen, the first time was slicing his finger at college and having to be taken to A&E by his mother with his detached finger in some ice. Fast forward a while later, his oven gloves caught fire whilst lifting a 20litre pot of soup off the stove.

He said: “I proceeded to burn my hands severely as I didn’t want to lose the soup!” Well that teaches us to always appreciate our soup!

Simon Rogan, from L’Enclume and Rogan & Co owner in Cumbria

We’re all guilty of over-working ourselves, but Simon told the independent his near-death experience’ occurred when he was working as a temp in Reading. Under immense stress he claims to have been close a heart attack! “For about five hours the order machine didn’t stop, so I literally served hundreds and hundreds of customers”.

Head chef at The French Table in Surbiton, Eric Guignard

Working at the Capital Hotel as a young chef, Eric gave himself a pretty nasty cut involving…oysters! Whilst opening oysters by hand, the blade slid and cut all the way through the palm of his hand. Ouch.

Vanilla Black, the vegetarian restaurant’s head chef, Andrew Dargue

Dan Doherty
Dan Doherty

Attempting to light an old gas oven, Andrew experienced a major make over. Whilst thinking there was a fault with the oven and waiting for something to happen, the gas oven fired up, exploding in his face. This resulted in Andrew’s eyebrows disappearing.

Chef director of Duck & Waffle, Dan Doherty

A young apprentice, trying to embrace the smells of different flavoured oils, what could go wrong? Dan explains whilst he was trying to figure out what flavour oil was in a plastic bottle, squeezing the bottle, however unaware that the oil was filled to the brim.

The oil ended up going up through his nose and down the back of his throat. “I genuinely thought I was going to die. It was pretty funny to everyone watching though”. I bet that helped him find out the flavour!

By Marigona Bucinca

In these challenging times…

The Staff Canteen team are taking a different approach to keeping our website independent and delivering content free from commercial influence. Our Editorial team have a critical role to play in informing and supporting our audience in a balanced way. We would never put up a paywall and restrict access – The Staff Canteen is open to all and we want to keep bringing you the content you want; more from younger chefs, more on mental health, more tips and industry knowledge, more recipes and more videos. We need your support right now, more than ever, to keep The Staff Canteen active. Without your financial contributions this would not be possible.

Over the last 12 years, The Staff Canteen has built what has become the go-to platform for chefs and hospitality professionals. As members and visitors, your daily support has made The Staff Canteen what it is today. Our features and videos from the world’s biggest name chefs are something we are proud of. We have over 500,000 followers across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and other social channels, each connecting with chefs across the world. Our editorial and social media team are creating and delivering engaging content every day, to support you and the whole sector - we want to do more for you.

A single coffee is more than £2, a beer is £4.50 and a large glass of wine can be £6 or more.

Support The Staff Canteen from as little as £1 today. Thank you.

The Staff Canteen

The Staff Canteen

Editor 15th September 2017

Chefs share their near death experiences in the kitchen